How to replace the water deflector on the door of your 2006 Chevrolet Silverado
Along the top of the door of your 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, you will find a thin strip of plastic. This is the water deflector, and it is designed to keep water out of the inside of your vehicle where it can damage the electrical components of your window and door like the power door actuator or other electrical switches. If the deflector is damaged, you can easily replace it. It is held in place by a strip of adhesive to keep it in place.
The first step in replacing the water deflector is the removal of the door panel. You will need normal tools and a pry bar or trim panel tool. Here are the instructions for removing the door trim panel:
- Lower the window on the door and remove the key from the ignition.
- Take the lock bezel off the door panel using the pry bar.
- Protect the paint on the door with a cloth, and then use a pry tool to remove the corner molding that covers the side mirror.
- Remove the door handle bezel. You can remove the power console control panel off the armrest and unplug it.
- Take off the armrest with a Phillips head screwdriver.
- Start at the bottom of the door trim panel and begin prying it off as you move up the door. Protect the door with the cloth. There are clips and seals that hold the trim in place. Reach inside while still holding the trim panel to unplug the speaker wire and door light from the harness. The door panel will lift up and off now.
The following steps will guide you through the removal of the old deflector.
- Break the bond between the door and the sealer by using a tool that has a flat blade.
- Next, separate the water deflector from the waterproof sealing tape.
- You can now take the water deflector off the truck.
Now you are able to replace the water deflector and attach it by using waterproof sealing tape.
After you have the new water deflector attached, then you can replace the trim panel on the door working backwards from steps used to remove it. Your 2006 Chevrolet Silverado is now protected from moisture getting inside the door panel.
© 2014 General Motors. All rights reserved.