Power windows are a nice convenience that allows you to open and close any window in your 2006 Chevrolet Silverado with the touch of a button. Since they are electrical, they have a motor and other moving parts that can wear out over time. If your window is no longer going up and down, the window regulator may need to be replaced. By following the instructions below, you can easily replace your window regulator.
You will need basic mechanic's tools and a pry bar or trim tool for the removal of the door panel trim.
The first step is to raise and support your window.
Removing Door Panel Trim
- Use a pry bar or the trim tool to take the lock bezel off the door.
- Use a cloth to protect the door's paint, and use the pry tool to remove the corner molding for the side mirror.
- Take the door handle bezel off the door. Then remove and unplug the power console control panel.
- Use a Phillips screwdriver to take the armrest off the truck.
- Begin prying the door trim panel off the door by starting at the bottom of the panel. You will then move up the sides towards the top. Take the clips and seats off to remove the panel. Before you take the panel all the way off, reach inside and unplug speaker wires and door light wires from the wiring harness. Then you can lift the panel up and off.
Once you have the door panel removed, you can get to the window regulator.
Replacing the Window Regulator
- Remove the plastic waterproof deflector trim.
- Unplug the window motor assembly from the harness.
- Take the two bolts off that attach the regulator to the window glass.
- Unbolt the window regulator.
- Fold both sides of the window regulator together in order to remove the entire assembly from the door.
- Take the window regulator motor off the door by taking the bolts off the front of the motor. Give it a wiggle to remove it from the cable housing, but do not let the cable gears leave the housing. If the cable gears come out, the cable can come off the spool.
- Take the new motor and move it side to side to get it back into the housing. You need to attach the correct fastener in the correct place before tightening the bolts. Tighten the bolts to 80 lb. in. (9 Y). Use Locktight on the bolts before tightening them back on.
- Twist the regulator back into place in the door. Make sure that it is firmly attached. Bolt the regulator back into place after you have aligned it with the window glass. Tighten the bolts to 80 lb. in. (9 Y). Use Locktight on the bolts before tightening them back on.
- Place the water deflector back to the door and reverse the instructions for the trim panel removal to put it back into place.
After replacement, make sure that it works by raising and lowering the window.
Use proper tools like mechanic wrenches, screwdrivers and trim bars to add or remove parts from your 2006 Chevrolet Silverado.
© 2014 General Motors. All rights reserved.