How To Replace a Chevy Ignition Switch
Your Chevrolet ignition switch is what starts the engine, allows you to listen to the radio while parked and turn the lights on even when the car is not running. The ignition sends the signal to apply electricity to the rest of the vehicle. While the ignition gets a lot of use over its lifetime, it usually does not go bad. However, if you should need to replace it, here are the instructions.
Tools and Supplies
- Replacement ignition switch
- Torx screwdriver
- Adjustable wrench
- Open the hood and take the negative battery cable off the battery. You will need to use an adjustable wrench and turn it counterclockwise.
- If you have a tilt wheel, use the tilt lever and tilt the steering column up. Take the tilt lever off the column. It will pull straight out. Put it aside.
- There are two screws on the steering column cover. Remove them using the Torx screwdriver by turning them counterclockwise. You can then pull down the plastic cover by grasping the bottom of it. Set the screws and cover aside.
- Find the J-shaped lever. It is black and will be on the ignition switch. When you pull that lever towards the vehicle’s front, it releases the ignition switch. You can then remove the switch by gently pulling it down and straight out. Now, unplug it from the wiring harness.
- Make sure that your old ignition switch and your new one are the same. There should be a white plastic gear in the same place on both. If they do not match, get one that does.
- Reconnect the wiring harness to the new switch and push the switch back into the steering column. It will lock in place. Line the tabs of the column cover up and push it back into place. Screw the screws back in place clockwise.
- Put the tilt lever back in place by pushing it in the hole. Make sure it is in place. Put the ignition key back in and set it to OFF.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable and tighten it in a clockwise position.
- Turn the key to ON and make sure that your ignition switch is working.
Should you run into any trouble, you can always contact your local Chevy dealership for assistance.